PivaBend for Wrappers
Wrappers are another popular product family in PivaBend, and can be bent as fast as 16 seconds a wrapper. They are almost always bent in such order: long sides first, short sides second and box bending third. The bending units however are always chosen and dimensioned according to the products.
Typical Wrapper-type products for PivaBend:
Fan coils, air handlers, boilers, heaters, office furniture, kitchen cabinets and construction.
The challenge is to bend different size wrappers efficiently and with minimal labor. Large wrappers weight many kilos and are impractical to handle by hand.
Typical reasons for developing bending processes are growing capacity needs, cost efficiency in production and quality requirements with strict tolerances.
Starting point is also the use of several press brakes, panel benders or forming presses in manufacturing which all require operators to attend the machine, handle material, position work pieces and to unload the parts by hand and more efficiency is required. Cycle times, batch sizes and set up times affect the cost a lot.
PivaBend for Wrappers meets these challenges as follows:
- If Wrappers are fed to next process, the machine can run unattended. There is no need for manual material handling, positioning of work pieces or unloading.
- The loading of blanks is done automatically by feeding them straight from the punching center or with a de-stacker from a blank storage. PivaBend benders work according to the wing forming principle which prevents any marking of sensitive surface or wear on the tooling.
- In the PivaBend bending center both parallel sides are bent first.
- The parallel ends are bent separately in following station for the minimum cycle times.
- Feeders and folding tools are all CNC controlled.
- Programming of next part is prepared while the line is running.
- Depending on how the PivaBend bending center is equipped, the Hold Down tools for bending the ends of panels are set by hand using the quick change clamping or by setting the Hold Down tools automatically using the Automatic Tool Changer (ATC). See the video!
- Other set up for the machine is the bending radius affected by the tool clearance adjustment which can be carried out manually or straight from the program.
Loading of blanks for bending
When loading PivaBend bending center with blanks from a storage system, there is an automated de-stacker in place. The Trolleys for pallets can be fixed or motorized, equipped with rails on the top of the floor.
Bending station for the sides
The bending station for sides is well suited for narrow work pieces on which the bottom width is small. The FLN type of bending station is designed to bend two short parts at the same time, or longer parts one at the time. On the FLN bending station the bending units are stationary and the transport of the work piece between the bending units is taken care by CNC gripper feeders.
Referencing of the blank is against datum pins prior to the first bend.
In straight bending centers, there is a Turning table between the bending stations for the sides and for the ends and the work piece is brought into the bending station of the ends with a CNC gripper feeder.
In the bending centers where the bending station for the ends is mounted in 90° angle, the work piece is transported on conveyor belts.
Bending station for the ends
The bending station for the ends consists of two with the CNC traversing wing formers. Both ends are bent simultaneously for minimum cycle time. Panels are referenced between the benders prior to the bending cycles.
Box bending station
The bending station for the ends consists of two with the CNC traversing wing formers. Both ends are box bent simultaneously for minimum cycle time.
Discharge of panels
Panels are discharged and stacked typically by hand. However, robots have been used for loading of blanks for bending and for palletizing of panels.